1981 2jz Toyota Corolla - Jonathan Thomas
I currently have 4 cars, I have the 1981 Yellow JZ Turbo setup Corolla, and a 2016 Nissan GTR Black Edition New Shape which has a stage 2 with bolt-ons. I am currently busy with a project which is a 2007 SEAT LEON FR
These Photographs are supplied by the Photographer named, check their Link for Bookings.
More images are in the slider above, SLIDE LEFT>>>>>>>>>>>
1981 2jz Toyota Corolla
Photographer: @incogmedia / Darren Nieuwoudt
Hi, my name is Jonathan Thomas and I am involved in Property Development. Racing is my passion and hobby that I love to do. I have been racing for many years in all different classes.
I am currently racing in the South African Endurance Championship. No one actually got me into the scene. Since I can remember I have always been interested in and fascinated with cars. Funny thing is that none of my family members is into cars.
I currently have 4 cars, I have the 1981 Yellow JZ Turbo setup Corolla, and a 2016 Nissan GTR Black Edition New Shape which has a stage 2 with bolt-ons. I am currently busy with a project which is a 2007 SEAT LEON FR which has a 2L 4 Cylinder motor that has been absolutely fully built top to bottom. Busy with the AWD conversion. We are going to use this in 1/4 mile racing. The goal is to break into the 8-second bracket. I daily drive a Fiat Panel Van for work reasons.
I was lucky enough to buy this build as is, which is never easy to find in this condition. I liked it and just had to have it. Driving the Yellow Corolla is very exciting and fun especially on the street, as it has loads of power and no driving aids so it's a handful.
One piece of advice I can say is that you must always build it properly even if it costs more and takes more time. Never take shortcuts as the car will never be at its full potential and will give you more issues. I think my Corolla stands out because it looks very unassuming from the outside. Just a nice well maintained Corolla but actually has a 2JZ under the hood.
Toyota Corolla JZ Turbo Setup
- 2jzgte turbo bottom end
- CP Pistons stock rods
- Acl race bearings
- 1jz head fully equipped
- Brian Crower cams and rev kit original Toyota gasket
- ARP head studs
- Titanium valves, springs and retainers.
- Full boost performance custom intake manifold
- Holset hx 52 turbo with billet wheel
- 50mm xcell wastegate
- Stainless steel boost pipes water pipes
- Full boost performance ceramic coated branch
- Stainless steel downpipe and full exhaust
- 2x Bosch 044 fuel pumps
- 2x Billet aluminium Aeromotive fuel filters
- Aeromotive fuel pressure regulators.
- FTF Teflon fuel braided line back to front
- 6x 1200cc injectors
- Powermods ECU
- High Boost low boost switch
- 3 plate quarter master clutch
- Custom flywheel
- D4d gearbox
- Chromoly prop shaft
- M75 LSD diff rear suspension braced
- BMW front brakes
- Golf gti rear brakes
- Megan Racing front Coil-overs
- Roll Cage with harness
- Pioneer mp3 player
- Jbl 4 channel Amp
- 8inch JL audio sub
- Jbl split system
- Toyo Proxxis 888Rs on the back for road driving.
- Mickey Thompson ET Streets Slick Tyre for the track.
- Car was on the dyno at 1st Performance and made 527 kws (707 bhp) & 1000nm on 1.6 bar of boost
- High boost is set at 1.8 bar but can be increased to around 2.1 bar. Which will be over 600kws of power on the wheels.
- -Best 1/4 mile time in Joburg was a 9.7 but with the old body but this engine setup.
- -Best 1/4 mile in Cape Town was a 10.0 with this current body and engine setup.
I have not done the work myself. It was initially built by Full boost Performance in Johannesburg and was maintained and updated by 1st Performance in Cape Town.
I'm actually selling the car as I have too many things and projects on the go. But if I was going to keep it I would change ECU to ECU Master and go with a built BMW M3 Gearbox. Hopefully, the next owner can do this to the car in the future.
I am part of CTSC (Cape Town Supercar Club) and WCPC (Western Cape Performance Club). Generally in most car groups in Cape Town.
The car scene has done wonders for me as I have made good friends and got to experience cars a lot better. The car scene is 90% of the time great at accepting everyone from all types of backgrounds which is very good and unfortunately doesn't happen often out there in other things. It's like a massive community which for the most part has each other's backs.
I have so many dream cars lol. But the 2 off the top of my head will have to be a fully built Nissan GTR R32 and a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T with a big twin-turbo V8 motor.
Please leave your comments in the comments section at the bottom of the page
'The future is bright as long as we can still Smell the Fumes'
Stay Up to Date Check Out Our Google News and give us a Follow
All of our Magazines can be found on Amazon, they Print and Deliver worldwide, Stance Auto can not be held responsible for the final print, and all complaints and returns must be directed to Amazon.
UKTM no: UK00003572459